Opera Software released the newest update to its desktop web browser, Opera 11.50, which is now available for the first time in Swahili and Zulu.
The browser supports more than 50 languages in total, with the update adding four new languages, also including Bengali and Punjabi. Codenamed “Swordfish”, Opera 11.50 features improvements to its Speed Dial launch page, synchronization and design. You can download Opera 11.50 here.
In the latest version of Opera, you can get social media feeds; immediate stock quotes; the current weather conditions; up-to-the minute news and sports scores; and much more, right in your “Speed Dial”.
“Instead of handy thumbnails and links to your top sites, you can embed your Speed Dial with extensions that keep you updated–instantly–on what is happening around the Web. Take weather updates, for example. Why click through to a website when you can get the current conditions live at a glance? Or, why not be the first to know the hot news of the day just by opening a new tab? We think Speed Dial extensions are a smarter way of getting to the content you want and need,” Opera said in a press release.
Some of the new features include:
- Read It Later’s Speed Dial extension suggests an article to read from your reading list.
- Webdoc, a new way to mix media of any kind, developed a Speed Dial extension that allows you to create interactive web posts in a few clicks.
- The Hype Machine, a popular music service that tracks emerging artists on blogs, made a Speed Dial extension that features the most popular tracks of the moment, giving you an easy way to stay on top.
- With StockTwits you can share real-time information and ideas about stocks. Using their Speed Dial extension you’ll get instant access to a passionate community to see which stocks are trending right now.
Opera has more than 50 Speed Dial extensions which already exist. A complete list can be found here. Also, developers who want to make Speed Dial extensions for themselves can get everything they need from here.
“The good news is, no matter what browser you choose, you’ll get something like this–eventually,” said Jan Standal, VP of Desktop Products, Opera Software. “The question is how long do you want to wait? With Opera, you can experience Speed Dial extensions along with our other pioneering features today.”
Other new features include:
- Password synchronization: Now, Opera Link supports passwords, so you can synchronize your website passwords—securely—with other Opera browsers. It’s perfect for checking Facebook quickly when you’re supposed to be working.
- Sleek, now sleeker: Opera 11.50 sports a new design which is even more streamlined and lightweight than our previous look.
- Under the hood: Opera have fixed thousands of bugs and upgraded to our newest core rendering engine. Along the way, we also tweaked our software graphics engine with faster CSS and SVG rendering. What does that mean to you? Opera 11.50 is the fastest and most stable Opera browser ever.
- Goodies for developers: Eager to get your hands dirty with all of the new stuff in HTML5? Opera has you covered. Opera 11.50 adds Session History and Navigation, the W3C File API, classlist and the element to our already advanced HTML5 support.