Fixed line operator Telkom isn’t exactly what you’d call well-liked in South Africa, where it pretty much has a monopoly on the space. The latest move from its mobile division however could just generate it a little goodwill.
The company says it will be offering 60 minutes of free Wi-Fi a day to, well, anyone who wants it. According to an official press release anyone, no matter what network they’re on, will be able to connect to one of Telkom Mobile’s 1 500 Wi-Fi hotspots around the country.
It does seem like a bit of a faff to get your 60 minutes of free Wi-Fi a day though.
Here are the steps Telkom says you need to take every time you want to connect.
- SMS “free” plus your email address to 32707
- We’ll SMS you an access code and PIN
- Check that you’re in a Telkom Mobile WiFi hotspot
- Enable WiFi on your device
- Search for connections
- Select “Telkom Mobile Guest SSID”
- You will be redirected to the WiFi portal page
- Enter your access code and PIN
- Press OK
- You will be redirected to your default browser page
- Enjoy your 60 minutes of unlimited free WiFi!
- Repeat these steps on a daily basis