Fire engulfs Mxit’s Stellenbosch offices

fire-171229_1280

Mobile instant messaging service Mxit’s Stellenbosch offices were reportedly engulfed in flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Memeburn understands that the fire broke out at around 2AM. At this stage, it appears that the fire was caused by an electrical fault. Speaking to TechCentral, Mxit chief financial officer Richard Newton, “there was a fair amount of smoke damage that is limited to a small area on one floor.”

According to Newton, around 10 Mxit staff would have to be temporarily relocated because of the blaze. “We are unable to estimate the value of the damage at this stage,” he told TechCentral.

According to Newton, the fire would have no impact on Mxit’s operational abilities, with the CFO saying it would be “business as usual”.

Memeburn has approached Mxit for additional comment and will update the story accordingly.

Update: Mxit says that while the fire was in area of the office that was fairly contained, it didn’t affect any one department. It added that representatives from its insurer would be in to examine and assess the damage.

More

News

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest in digital insights. sign up

Welcome to Memeburn

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest in digital insights.

  • We're currently running this five question poll to gain information on the perceptions of the Samsung brand as well as its smartphone offerings. Please a minute to check the poll's boxes. Thank you

    Start