I’m not sure how the Trekkies are going to feel about this one. The marketing machine for the upcoming JJ Abrams vehicle Star Trek Into Darkness is set to launch a context-aware app.
The app, which has the same title as the film, will reportedly deliver exclusive content and gaming experiences in the lead up to the film’s release. The app was announced during Qualcomm’s keynote at CES.
According to networking giant Qualcomm, which helped build the app in partnership with the film’s studio Paramount, the app will allow users to “automatically engage with a wealth of movie related materials by utilizing their real-life surroundings to auto-complete integrated missions by employing audio scan, geo-location recognition, and image recognition functionality”.
Once the game has swung into action, Qualcomm claims that people will be able “unlock the first of many surprises” during the airing of the Star Trek Into Darkness TV spot.
“We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you,” said Qualcomm Chairman and CEO Dr. Paul E. Jacobs. “By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.”
The app’s features reportedly include:
- An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content on TV and other media
- An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world
- A geofencing function for location-based experiences
- New Star Trek Into Darkness content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices
- Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users
- One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” U.S. premiere.
It appears the app will only be available to US and Canadian users at the moment.