Netflix’s offline downloads has always been the app’s best feature, but it’s a pain to download an entire episode or movie especially if you’re…
Before we mention anything else, yes, Drake was Spotify’s most popular artist globally. Now that that’s out of the way, the streaming music service this week announced its biggest (non-Toronto born) artists, and music of the year.
So, who placed where?
Drake, for the record, snagged 8.2-million plays this year, making him the most streamed artist on the platform of all time.
“God’s Plan” — the most popular track of the year on the streaming service — brought in more than a billion streams alone.
Post Malone was world number two, while XXXTENTACION, J Balvin and Ed Sheeran made it an all-male top five most-streamed list for 2018.
As for the most popular female artists on the platform, Ariana Grande has a stellar year, with “thank u, next” garnering more than 200-million streams alone. In total, she enjoyed more than three billion streams in total.
Dua Lipa placed second, while Cardi B, Taylor Swift, and Camila Cabello rounded out the top five.
Other notable facts and figures from Spotify’s charts include:
- Imagine Dragons (somehow) gained more streams than K-pop sensation BTS in 2018.
- Drake’s “God’s Plan” was more popular than “In My Feelings”… (again, somehow).
- Ariana Grande’s Sweetener failed to make the top five most streamed album list.
- Dua Lipa’s eponymous album earned her fourth place in the above-mentioned album list.
- Spotify’s podcast chart further proves that “Crime and Mystery” podcasts were big in 2018.
Feature image: Spotify