Samsung Galaxy Note 9 reportedly catches fire in woman’s bag

samsung galaxy note 9 1

A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 has reportedly caught fire inside a woman’s purse, she claims in a lawsuit.

According to a New York Post report, the phone “became extremely hot” while the woman was using it in an elevator. She popped it in her bag, but this didn’t remedy the issue. Instead “whistling and screeching” and “thick smoke” was the result.

The phone reportedly caught fire.

“The mobile didn’t stop burning until a good Samaritan grabbed it with a cloth and plunked it into a bucket of water, Chung claims in the Queens Supreme Court lawsuit,” the NY Post’s report continues.

All this sounds a bit too familiar, and Samsung has notably taken precautions to prevent another Note 7 fiasco.

The Note 9 actually features a heatpipe — similar to what you find on PC cooling systems — to wick heat away from the chipset and battery. However, some users have noted that the phone can get noticeably warm. Much warmer than the Samsung Galaxy S9 which shares the same Exynos chipset.

This is the first notable report of a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 catching fire, and the company is reportedly investigating the matter.

Feature image: Andy Walker/Gearburn

Andy Walker, former editor


Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest in digital insights. sign up

Welcome to Memeburn

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest in digital insights.