Portions of Gauteng have been hit by heavy rains and flooding on Wednesday according to video reports on social media and warnings by the…
McLaren F1 driver Fernando Alonso, fresh from racing at the Daytona 24 Hours, will be competing in the World Endurance Championship (WEC), including the prestigious Le Mans 24 Hours.
The double world champion will pull double duty then, competing in the entire 2018 Formula One season in addition to the WEC season with Toyota. Alonso will be missing the WEC race at Fuji Speedway however, as it clashes with the US Grand Prix.
“Like Fernando, at McLaren we’re racers at heart, and our team is built on a brave heritage of competing and succeeding in different forms of the sport,” McLaren executive director Zak Brown said in a press statement. “Equally important is the confidence that nothing detracts from our number one goal of Formula One. After proper evaluation, we are satisfied that this campaign does not do that, and that McLaren’s best interests prevail.”
Fernando Alonso looks set to continue his quest to win the Triple Crown, racing at Le Mans this year
“I’ve never been shy about my aim of winning motorsport’s ‘Triple Crown’ — the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indy 500, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. We tried for Indy last year, came close, but just missed out,” Alonso said of the move.
“This year, I have the chance thanks to McLaren to race for the win at Le Mans. It is a big challenge — much can go wrong — but I am ready, prepared and looking forward to the fight.”
Alonso will team up with Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi for the WEC challenge. Anthony Davidson will be taking up a test and reserve driver role to make way for the F1 driver.
The Spaniard raced at the Daytona 24 Hour event over the weekend, finishing 38th overall after suffering from brake issues and punctures.