Tech giant Samsung has reported its lowest quarterly profit in eight years this week an indicator to the weakened global economy to hit PC…
Welcome to Weekly Round Up, our podcast discussing the latest news from the past few days.
This week Hadlee Simons plays host to Andy Walker and Matthew Alexander.
In this edition, we discuss the launch of UberEATS and its new, but old competition. We also discuss the origins and sudden explosion in the popularity of Cash Me Outside — a meme of a 13-year old girl. Facebook and its Snapchat inspiration also comes under the spotlight.
We also touch on former Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra’s decision to leave the Chinese company for Facebook’s Oculus, as well as former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone’s retirement from Formula 1 (well, kind of). Finally, we talk about a new app called Carter. It’s effectively the Tinder for cars.
‘Cash Me Outside’ is the new cool phrase to use on social media, as UberEATS debuts in Cape Town
What are we watching, reading, playing: Matthew is still playing Titanfall 2 (you’d think he’d be bored by now, but he absolutely adores it). He’s also just completed Netflix’s second season of Voltron — probably one of the better animated series out there right now.
Andy, on the other hand, has received his beta code for For Honor. He’s also been messing around with Battlefield 1 again. What’s he watching? Not Overwatch strangely enough. He’s found a Plants vs Zombies playthrough series by a British YouTuber Wolfy Playz.
Hadlee has no clue what he’s been up to, but oddly remembers playing Yoshi’s Woolly World as well as Super Mario Maker. He’s also perusing YouTube watching Ace Combat gampelay videos (he really loves that franchise).
For all this and more, have a listen to the podcast below. Also, be sure to catch the thorough Recommended Reading list at the foot of this article.
- UberEATS’s David Kitley on expansion plans and more
- Facebook Stories will soon let you ‘Snapchat’ from your Facebook app
- Cash Me Outside: this 13-year-old girl is now a meme
- Oculus: Hugo Barra’s next move revealed
- Carter: another ‘Tinder for X’ app launches in SA
- Big F1 shake-up: Bernie Ecclestone no longer F1 boss
- Read Gearburn’s Titanfall 2 single-player review
- Catch Gearburn’s Battlefield 1 archive
- Wolfy Playz (Plants vs Zombies: GW2 – YouTube)
- Zylbrad (Overwatch – YouTube)
- See February’s list of exclusives for South Africa here