Two South African pupils have received a nod for showcasing their scientific research at this year’s Buca international Music, Science, Engineering Fair which took…
Welcome to The Weekly Roundup, where we talk the latest in tech and startup news.
This week, Hadlee Simons hosts Stephen Timm and Julia Breakey.
First on the agenda is Hadlee’s list of the 2017 smartphones to avoid this festive season. He talks devices like the BlackBerry KeyOne, which offers niche features for a steep price, and the LG Q6 with its high screen-to-body ratio and… not much else.
This week’s podcast covers smartphones, GoMetro, and Black Friday stats
Stephen then talks GoMetro, the South African startup looking to take on Uber and Taxify, as well as fight congestion. In an exclusive interview, Ventureburn learned that the company plans to begin trialling a door-to-door ride-sharing service in the Cape Town in February.
Finally, the team discusses Takealot and Superbalist’s Black Friday stats — and wonders if the numbers aren’t as glossy as they first appear.
Listen to the full podcast here:
- 2017 smartphones: avoid these devices
- Exclusive: GoMetro ride-sharing service to take on Uber, Taxify, tackle congestion – Ventureburn
- Brett Herron tweets ‘horrific’ Metrorail journey across Cape Town
- Takealot hits record highs despite Black Friday downtime
- Superbalist sees 143% spike in traffic on Black Friday 2017