Google and South African Tourism have partnered to launch an online exhibition that allows visitors to explore South Africa virtually. ‘South Africa: An Explorer’s…
Crow’s feet, saggy skin, facial hair, cellulite… yes, women are plagued by these not so pretty woes. The answer: expensive spa treatments or surgery. However there is a less costly answer. Thanks to modern technology and science, the era of digital beauty devices has begun. The latest beauty devices promise to deliver results on par with spa treatments and in the comfort of your own home. But are they worth the investment and do they really work?
Lucky for you, I trawled through the plethora of available beauty devices and found the best that will benefit acne, reduce cellulite and tone your body, remove unwanted hair, cleanse skin and provide facial toning and rejuvenation. The biggest buzz in the beauty device world feature in my top ten list.
1. Tria Age-Defying Laser (US$495) is a 2014 Cosmetic Executive Women, Insiders Choice, Beauty Award Winner. This FDA cleared device promotes natural collagen and elastin production. Targeted beams of light penetrate the skin to create microscopic zones of cellular disruption, stimulating natural healing. Result: visibly younger-looking skin.
2. NuFace Trinity Facial Toning Device (US$325) is another Insiders Beauty Award Winner, FDA approved for the home. With regular use, it is clinically proven to improve facial contour, skin tone, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; using microcurrent and LED light therapy. Various attachment options are available to provide multiple skin care solutions. Result: improved facial contours and skin tone.
3. Clarisonic Mia Cleansing System (US$199) takes cleaning to a sonic level and removes 30x more ageing pollutants from skin than normal cleansing. Patented sonic technology works with skin’s natural elasticity, oscillating at over 300 movements per second. This removes deep seated impurities and allows better absorption of your skin care products. Result: really clean, smooth skin.
4. Tria Hair Removal Laser 4X (US$449) is an FDA cleared hair removal laser for face and body that permanently reduces unwanted hair. It uses professional strength diode laser technology, to target the pigment in the hair follicle. This disables the hair follicle permanently. Unfortunately, this only works on lighter skin tones. Result: takes you from “hair to bare.”
5. Tria Acne Clearing Blue Light (US$245) won the 2014 Elle Genius Award. It is FDA cleared to treat mild to moderate inflammatory acne with a non UV blue light. Tria Blue Light gently penetrates below the skin’s surface to eliminate bacteria deep within, without irritating or drying skin. With daily use, blue light helps prevent future breakouts to reveal a clear, beautiful complexion. Result: clearer skin.
6. TriPollar Pose (US$550) promises to shrink fat cells, decrease body circumference and improve the appearance of cellulite using radio frequency. This clinically proven device simultaneously generates heat deep in the fat and dermal layers of the skin, thus increasing the natural metabolism of the cells, forcing them to release their liquid fat content. At the same time, heating the dermal layer stimulates the production and replenishment of collagen fibres. Result: tighter, toned body.
7. Me Smooth (US$395) is an FDA cleared hair removal device for all skin types and is effective on a wide range of hair colours. It uses a lower level of Intense Pulse Light and “colour blind” Radio Frequency that disables hair follicles, to remove unwanted hair even on darker skin tones. Result: 46% reduction in hair growth after two weeks.
8. PMD Personal Microdermabrasion Device (US$179) is a non invasive device that removes dead skin cells by gentle exfoliation and mild skin resurfacing to reveal a clearer healthy complexion. It uses Aluminum Oxide Crystals and a vacuum suction to smooth away dead skin cells and literally uncover younger skin. This in turn unclogs pores, smoothes and evens skin tone. Result: reduces the appearance of blemishes, fine lines, wrinkles, brown spots and skin appears rejuvenated.
9. Silk’n Flash & Go (US$199) is FDA cleared, patented Home Pulse Light technology device that safely removes hair. The pigment melanin absorbs light therefore the energy is absorbed by the hair follicles, while the surrounding skin remains at a normal temperature. This device only works on lighter skin tones. However as a safety feature, it has a unique skin colour sensor built in, that only emits a pulse on suitable skin tones. Result: dramatic hair reduction.
10. LightStim for Wrinkles (US$249) LED light therapy uses UV free amber light that jump-starts collagen production. LightStim for Wrinkles penetrates the epidermis layer of the skin, stimulating your skin’s natural ability to produce collagen and elastin. This increased volume of collagen and elastin plumps up the dermis layer, pushing out lines and wrinkles. Result: wrinkle reduction and firmer skin.
Beauty devices are a great investment in the future of your skin. However it takes regular use and patience to achieve fabulous results. Happy shopping!