US President Donald Trump has moved from wanting to ban TikTok to approving a potential sale to Microsoft — stating that the US government…
Drone maker DJI on Wednesday announced the local availability of the Mavic Mini, the company’s smallest and lightest consumer drone.
It weighs in at just 249 grams, only slightly heavier than most flagship smartphones.
The company also notes that it’s small enough to fit in the “palm of your hand”.
DJI Mavic Mini: Specifications
Despite its size, the Mavic Mini can still record 2.7K video at 30 frames per second, or 1080p at 60 frames per second. It features a 12MP camera sensor which is mounted on a three-axis gimbal.
In terms of flight stats, users can pilot the drone for up to 30 minutes, while it uses WiFi to control and beam down images from the camera.
The Mavic Mini also includes GPS sensors and downward visual sensors on board, which allows it to hover and land accurately.
DJI Mavic Mini: camera modes and accessories
These features are powered by DJI’s Fly app, which lets users select a number of flight modes. These include position mode (for basic flying), sport mode (for more adventurous pilots), and CineSmooth (for smoother shots).
The drone is also capable of QuickShots, which are automated manoeuvres controlled by the drone itself, these include Rocket, Circle, Dronie and Helix.
DJI explains each as follows:
- Rocket – Mavic Mini flies straight up into the air with the camera pointing downward following your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
- Circle – Mavic Mini will circle around your subject at a constant altitude and distance.
- Dronie – Mavic Mini flies backward and upward, with the camera tracking your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
- Helix – Mavic Mini flies upward and away, spiraling around your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
Finally, the DJI Mavic Mini also arrives with a number of accessories, which include:
- 360° Propeller Guard: Provides a 360° guard for added safety.
- Charging Base: Charge and display Mavic Mini with this unique, illuminated station.
- Propeller Holder: Travel easier with Mavic Mini with the propeller holder that locks the props into place.
- DIY Creative Kit: Personalize your Mavic Mini with custom stickers or draw your own design.
- Snap Adapter: Attach a toy building brick or a mini LED display to Mavic Mini to write custom messages.
- Mini Travel Bag: Bring Mavic Mini everywhere with the custom bag that fits Mavic Mini and the controller perfectly.
- Two Way Charging Hub: Charge up to three Mavic Mini batteries or use the charging hub as a power bank.
How much is the DJI Mavic Mini in South Africa?
The drone will be arriving in South Africa from the middle of November, and will be available in two packages.
The first — known as the standard option — includes the drone, a remote, a battery, extra propellers and “all necessary tools and wires”.
This will be priced at R7199.
The “Fly More” combo will include the standard edition’s equipment, plus a “360° Propeller Cage, Two-Way charging Hub, three batteries in total, three sets of extra propellers and a carrying case”.
This will be priced at R9199.
All images: DJI