In the midst of the ongoing protests in Hong Kong, Google announced that it disabled 210 YouTube channels associated with “coordinated influence operations” in…
Do you follow the ebbs and flows of technology, social trends and internet culture? Do you boast the unique ability to craft letters into words, and words into factual works of art? Are you currently on the hunt for a job at a media institution in Cape Town?
If you answered yes to all three questions, you might just be the intern Memeburn is looking for.
Memeburn is seeking two talented and driven full time paid writing interns who are especially interested in social media, technology at large and other facets of the internet culture. You’ll also work for us between three to six months, under the guidance of some of the city’s best writers.
The basics for interns:
- You’ll be tasked with writing between five and 15 articles per week
- You will be assigned pieces, or asked to pitch your own ideas to editors
- These articles will be related to all things technology, internet and online culture
- You’ll also cover events alongside senior journalists
The requirements for interns:
- A tertiary education (at least a Diploma in a relevant field)
- Three to six months of your time
- An excellent command of the English language
- An understanding of news and the ethics of reporting
- Basic sub-editing skills (mainly for your own work)
The X factor:
These additional skills and attributes are a bonus:
- A real hunger to report on the world of tech, and a sense of pride in your work
- A sense of humour is always a good thing too
- Excellent organisational skills
- Video, photo or audio-editing skills
The perks of the job:
- Well, Cape Town!
- Real coffee daily and popcorn weekly
- Guidance and tutorship from the Memeburn team
Prospective applicants should mail a brief CV, a cover letter, five possible story ideas, and writing samples on any tech-related topic to andy[dot]walker[at]memeburn[dot]com.